It’s that time of year when many people head out on the open road to visit family and friends over the long holiday weekend.
We at Wander the World want to help you have a safe and enjoyable time! Here are some tips from AAA that we thought were perfect to share with our readers!
- Before you set out on your trip, be sure your vehicle is up to date with all required maintenance. Check fluids and tire pressure. It’s a good idea to have your tires and brakes inspected before setting off on a long road trip. (We’ve had bad brakes on Mt. Eagle, not fun!)
- Although we live in the world of GPS and other technology, it’s not a bad idea to map out your route before you set off. If you’re able to download your maps for offline use, you won’t get stuck somewhere because you’ve lost cell signal. Consider leaving early if there are areas of your trip where you’ll hit heavy traffic during certain times of day.
- Keep valuables out of sight. Either put them in the trunk or at least cover them when you’ve left your vehicle for those inevitable bathroom breaks.
- If you’re traveling with children, remind them not to talk to strangers. Accompany them to the bathroom whenever possible and give them whistles to use if they get seperated. It may seem like overkill, but it’s better to be safe than sorry, especially with our precious kids!
- Have roadside assistance information on hand in case of emergency. AAA offers their basic service for $66 for a year which covers towing up to 5 miles. For $101 it covers towing up to 100 miles. We’ve used them in the past and the peace of mind is well worth it. (not a sponsor, just a great service.) You can also check with your insurance carrier to see if they offer any kind of roadside assistance program before you leave.
- Make sure you have a cell phone charger. You don’t want to have an emergency and have a dead cell phone! Many roadside assistance companies even have apps that you can request help online.
We hope that if you do embark on a road trip this holiday season that these tips will help you have a smooth and enjoyable time!
If you get to your destination and end up needing a place to stay, don’t hesitate to give us a call at: 866-292-6337! There is no extra charge for using a travel agent and it might save you from cousin Larry’s snoring!!
The gang at Wander The World